Wednesday, June 14, 2006

I switched from PC to laptop a couple of months ago and I just can't get the knack of this set up. The keys are too far away. With a PC, I type like the wind!

Some other complaints: It is an effing pain in the arse to load my CD collection onto this thing. Holy Hannah! It's taking me months! And I don't want to load my new iPod until I have my whole collection on here, so I don't have to cherry pick tracks as I go. Who has the time for this? I mean, I realize that I have a large number of CD's, but I ain't close to the collection this dude rocks. And his floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall collection is vinyl. Whaddya do with that?!?

I have perspective to add to the discussion that myspace is jumping the shark. Do I think MySpace is played? Yeah. But I'm not Kansas City. I'm not even Culver City.

The early adopters out there, may not think the MySpace client is good enough and they may seek out open source or other options they can run independently on their machines to interact with friends and contacts. Those people are not the masses, they are EARLY ADAPTERS, ahead of the curve, and the curve, is a bit longer than some may think.

MySpace will not be the leading P2P forever. I agree with that. But for now, its' 84 million user database excites those masses that congregate on it. And if MySpace continues with unique content deals and special promotions that connect with the target users - like secret shows with actual COOL bands - then most of those 84 million will continue to live there.

A few years down the road, as the options become easier to use and more accessible, mass market will start to build their own P2P networks with mix and match components they can download for free. Before that, though, there will be new P2P options that steal myspace's marketshare by being the web 2.0 or (dare I say it - *gulp* - 3.0!!!?) version of them. It's the nature of the beast.

I give myspace 6 months for sure, 1 year strong, with tapering off of use at the end of the 12 month period. Anyone willing to take the over or under on that?

No comments: