Thursday, December 20, 2007

I'm excited to be a part of a new community movement online, that started in Twitter. Last week, two of my Twitter friends, Connie Reece and Laura Fitton, started tweeting about PEA-vatars. The next thing I knew, I looked at my Twitter page and it was populating with Twitter friends who also featured avatars with peas. I learned that the PEA-vatars were being adopted for fellow Twitterer and bloggerSusan Reynolds, whom had recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. Susan had changed her avatar to a photo of a package of frozen peas and explained that the meaning behind the image was that she used a bag of frozen peas on her sore breast after several biopsies. To show my support for this member of our Twitter community, I quickly jumped aboard and created my own PEAvatar.

Not even a week has passed and peas abound in Twitter avatars. Connie Reece and Laura Fitton and a few others no doubt, even created a "PEAple" Twitter account, which they are asking members of the community to "follow" and they use to share news about Susan and the PEA-movement. On December 21st, The Frozen Pea Fund will go live, and anyone will be able to donate money via this site to help raise money for breast cancer research.

I'm excited to be a part of this real-life, positive social media movement. I think this is great example of how a global community can connect to support each other for no reason other than helping someone who needs support.

I'll keep you posted on our progress but I hope you'll join in and participate!

Give PEAs a chance:)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annie, you rock! Thanks for blogging about our pea adventures. It's amazing to see all this energy from the community. And for a good cause. The power of social networking demonstrated. :)

ericsmithrocks said...

Aw. I was wondering what the story was behind that. How sweet. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for blogging about it Annie! Folks are welcome to join us anytime at www.twitter.com/peaple to share stories, resources, support and for updates on @susanreynolds fight! :-) Big thanks to @Kosso for making that account a group feed, to @whurley for setting it up to automatically follow back its followers, and @geekgirltv (and others) for volunteering to make PEAvatars for peAple!

Anonymous said...

hey annie! thanks for your really nice twitter about me today -- @sacca

Social Anniemal said...

Is that Chris Sacca commenting on my blog. You saw my tweet?! I am so embarrassed...and delighted! Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

hey annie,

it really is me. i tried to direct tweet you, but you aren't a follower of mine. :)

thanks for all the nice thoughts.

-- @sacca

Social Anniemal said...

You are seriously on top of your tracking/monitoring. I'm impressed. Nice piece in the NY Times today.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!