Monday, July 06, 2009

I can't remain quiet any longer.

I rarely blog anymore for a number of reasons:
  • The advertising/pr/social media/marketing blogosphere has become bloated. Everyone's got a blog and they're all talkin' about social media. They talk about marketing - whether or not they have experience in any or all of the marketing disciplines.
  • I don't want to feed the ecochamber. It's rare anyone in this space says something new and maybe that's because many of these bloggers are talking rather than doing. The words conversation and dialogue and evangelists are so echoed anymore, I swear you could find a conch shell, put it up to your ear and hear them instead of the ocean.
  • I'm not here to teach anyone. You want to learn, get in here and work with me. I'm doing. That's what I've been doing for the last 14 years. From PR agencies, to the corp/nonprofit world, to the ad agency world, I've been working on people's business. A lot of people's business. A lot of times I work on Fortune 500 business. Sometimes, I work on small business. I just work. And I like to work. That's how I learn.
  • The blog format is a bit tedious for me now. And I'm not saying that in an "I invented the Internet" kind-of-way. I'm just explaining how I feel about it. I started blogging in 1998, vis a vis an online journal I wrote. I blogged almost everyday, sometimes several times a day, for 8 years. I got tired of it.
  • I prefer twitter. It's mobile, it's quick, it's easy. It doesn't require me to sit down and pound out something coherent.
However, I'm putting those thoughts aside. I'm going to start blogging again.

Now. I'm not back blogging to bitch about adv, pr or promotion. I'm not getting on the hate bandwagon, god knows there's enough of that.

I probably won't tell you much more about the things I'm working on, because I'm bound by confidentiality and again, I'm not here to teach anyone. The secret to how I do my job defines my financial value in the marketplace. So while I'll share information and thoughts here, keep in mind, many of my tricks will remain that...my tricks;)

I will try to speak to the other elements of social media that I don't see the "experts" talking about: advertising in social media, promotion in social media, special events and their efficacy. Marketing isn't *just* PR, although PR is important. The best marketing, is integrated marketing and if you don't look at and speak to the big picture, then success will be a difficult challenge for you. Like the Red Tettemer Trailblazer states, "Success is the Residue of Design."

More to come.

No comments: