Wednesday, April 05, 2006

So today I discovered Snubster and I have to tell you, I'm hearting it pretty hard.

I'll admit, I'm on myspace. And friendster. And dodgeball. I'm social networking myself all across the spectrum and I have been since most of these sites kicked their initial servers into gear. Since I have been a long time user of many of these sites, I'm comfortable admitting - it's getting old.

This contest out there right now - to connect with as many strangers as possible just to have "the most friends" (friends that you've never met? how exactly is that a friend?) - is pretty vapid if you sit down and look at the model that surfers are buying across the globe. And if you look even harder, you may become cynical of the crop of new social networking sites that are popping up like dandelions; you may even see them as outright pathetic.

I'm not there yet. I'm keeping my myspace.

However, I can appreciate what snubster is doing. The anti-social network. How Suicide Girls. Underground but mass. Counter-culture/subversive without being polarizing or niche.

So we'll see how they do. They're beta testing now, so who knows if they make it or how they will evolve. Right now I'm just happy typing into my list that Paris Hilton is officially "dead to me."

No comments: