Tuesday, June 06, 2006

You know, Wikipedia is great. You know that, right? I don't need to tell anyone who's found this site about wiki's and how valuable of an information source they are.

That said, you may not know how flippin' brilliant wikiHow is. Well let me tell you. WIKIHOW IS GENIUS.

I'm comfortable enough in my Gen X status to admit that, yes, I *am* interested in reading how-to instructions to Run Up A Wall and Flip. In fact, I may or may not, during my old cheerleading days, have done so myself as a schoolyard parlor trick. I'm too decrepit now to re-enact those glory days, so I'm loving that wikiHow is here to take me back.

Or, I may need to brush up on my Moonwalk. And if that's the case, I appreciate the warning that wikiHow provides with this how-to entry:
Warning: May cause humiliation when not done properly. Because that's a fair and important consideration to breaking out an unpolished moonwalk that you learned online. That's helpful.

wikiHow is a very cool collaborative project. A word to the wise, to any of you marketers out there who are wiki-obsessed and see this as a prime marketing tool to reach those Gen X, Gen Y's and Millennials, note #3 in the site's "About" section.

3. Limit egregious self-advertising

wikiHow exists to help people, not for product promotion. While we encourage useful articles about how to shop and buy things, writers should refrain from creating articles to purely promote one specific business without providing useful insights to our readers. While you are welcome to post an external hyperlink, the wikiHow community reserves the right to delete hyperlinks or entire articles that over step the bounds on self-advertising.

For details read the wikiHow policy summary.


So in other words, it would be okay if, hypothetically speaking, the guy in the pix for the Run Up A Wall and Flip entry was wearing Vans but it's not okay to write an entry on how to enter Vans' next skateboarding documentary.

Now that's a sure shot boogie that'll rock your soul. Jam on it.

No comments: