Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Happy Election Day. Here's cool and helpful voting Tool that someone twittered to me recently. The company behind it appears to be non-partisan and agenda free. One can hope...
*~*
I had an interesting discussion today with some colleagues about web 2.0 and web 3.0. I know everyone loathes the term, but it's here, so let's get over it for the sake of discussion.

I stand with Team 2.0, meaning, I don't think 3.0 should even be uttered because 2.0 isn't even flushed out or saturated yet. To quote my friend Josh Hallett, "I've been waiting for four years to get to the second version of my social media discussion."

I tend to think it's media pushing for 3.0 here - and I don't just mean traditional media. I mean CGM too. A nice tidy term to coin and bandy about - it's not just attributable and viral, it's wikiable too.

And sure, I've heard the predictions. "Web 3.0 is semantic web." It's "smart web" or "smart search." The internet becomes your personal "database." It's the Internet moving ahead to suggest to us, based on our past participation, which chess piece to play in interactive games or suggesting topics for blog entries based on an analytic algorithm of the news stories we clicked on, that we spent the most time reading, what we posted to our del.icio.us, related blogs we read and commented on, etc.

Perhaps, after all of this participation, web 3.0 means there is finally a payoff coming? Sounds like web 3.0 is simply the ultimate in lazyweb.

If that's the case, I welcome 3.0. Lately, I find that I'm over many of these online communities I've been involved with for years. I mean, does anyone even remember Friendster? I haven't killed my account there because it's my only link to the friends I had in 2002 or 2003. Whenever it was. When I see a MySpace alert in my mailbox, I sometimes groan because it's usually a friend request from some wannabe gangsta rapper or weeping singer-songwriter. And Facebook, the place where I used to volley cheeky comments back-and-forth on my personal friends' "walls" is now populated by everyone I know, including business contacts. Many of whom are now sending me "vampire bites" and "virtual happy hour cocktails." Huh?

Our social world has become an open book, one for everyone to read and participate in all across the globe. Instead of embracing this endless frontier, I find myself retreating from the boundless universe. I find that I prefer communities like LinkedIn, which are function more than form. Or Twitter, where I can lock my account and only converse with people I agree to "follow."

So tell me, what about all of you? Where do you stand on all of this? Are you in a 3.0 world? Are you loving your social networks? Or, are you growing weary of overparticipation? LMK.

No comments: