Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Seems like I've been traveling all of the time lately, or not around my PC to update. I guess I don't have much of an excuse - I could update this little piece of online real estate via crackberry or even winksite ...but how realistic is texting a blog entry anyway?

Because I'm always on the go, I'm heavily reliant on my mobile devices. I definitely don't use my blackberry nearly as much as other crackberry addicts; primarily I tap it for work email and I limit responses on it as much as possible. There's nothing worse than being on the receiving end of a text-heavy "plain text" blackberry directive. I live in a People world, as much as I like to cop that I have a New Yorker intellect.

Therefore, it stands to reason that I am pretty much beholden to my phone. And my phone, I'll have you know, is pretty rad. I have the Verizon/UTStarcom 8940 and it's pretty much changed my life since I got in January. Not only does it have video recording capability, but I subscribe to VCast, so in the past, when I'd run out in the morning without having time to wait for a TV weather report, now I watch it on my phone as I'm getting ready. I can watch clips of the morning shows on my phone as I'm walking in btwn meetings, or even catch up on the entertainment shows and MTV news.

It's getting to the point for me, where my phone is becoming my secondary information source (behind the Internet(1st), and TV dropping down to 4th after print). With that in mind, it should come as no surprise that I love what Paypal is up to. I love the idea that if I go out to dinner and someone wants to put the whole bill on their card, I can simply transfer funds from my account into theirs via phone and not have to worry about running out to an ATM machine. I think it's fantastic that if I'm in an airport or a car hearing news of some sort of plea for non-profit funding, I can use my phone to instantly make a donation.

I mean, those little milk cartons and cardboard donation boxes from grammar school were cute, but I have a hunch that letting users text donations from their phones will reap greater sums than the pocket change of the past.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great point-- this new application has the potential to greatly impact the nature of fundraising for non-profits. I'm curious to see which organizations jump on the bandwagon first.