Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I'm back!

Vacation was excellent. I didn't update here because I truly stepped back and worked on resting my mind and as much fun as this blog can be, it is work. It's related to my work.

So I returned to the office on Monday and really hit the ground running, catching up on a week's worth of work and news as quickly as possible and then leaving to catch a flight of town for a client meeting early on Tuesday.

Had a great meeting with some of my favorite clients at 8am (not my best hour of the day) and then flew back out of town around noon.

Tonight, I had the delightful opportunity thanks to a former client to see a movie I have been waiting for: Invincible.

It was fantastic! If you're a football fan, if you love to root for the underdog, if you ever watched a professional sports game and thought "what would it be like to be on that field?" - you've got to see this movie.

I'll admit it, I am religious Philly sports fan. That basically means that I set myself up for heartbreak every year. I know it going in. I know we'll probably never win a professional sports championship again in my lifetime. I scoffed at Sox fans and their curse. PUH-lease. They don't even know curses. Philly knows curses. It's a town built on heartbreak. Even one of our greatest landmarks - the Liberty Bell - has a crack running through it. That doesn't stop this town. Philly's got HEART.

And yeah, maybe we threw some snowballs at Santa, but can you blame us? What the heck has Santa brought us? Not a Superbowl ring. Not a Lombardi trophy. He brought us T.O. one year and I think we see where that got us. And maybe we threw some Duracell's...I can only assume the batteries were already dead...

Anyone who knows me, knows I am Rocky obsessed. I love the movie because it's a great triumph-over-the-insurmountable story and it does a superb job of showing the color of Philly. The character of the town. Philly's got real flavor. But my favorite thing about Rocky, that he has a one in a million chance. Just a bum from the streets. That's a story that most of us can relate to. It's the American Dream - work hard, be focused, determined and you can succeed.

Invincible is the new American Dream: an average Joe playing in the coveted NFL.

Dream on, everyone. Or live the dream with Papale.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Download a promo track from the Rocky V 15th anniversary album this week at Lip Gloss and Laptops.com (Fun!)