Friday, January 12, 2007

I really try not to talk about politics outside of my close friends and family and certainly not here, where my focus is on social media and it's nonstop evolution.

That said, I saw this photo today of President Bush shedding a tear at the funeral for a medaled soldier and it not only resonated personally for me, it also slightly eased my mind to see during these uncertain times. I worry that it's easier for us in urban areas and in the Northeast to push the war out of our minds. Most soldiers come from suburban areas in the South and the West. It's easy for us who don't see our neighbors and friends going back and forth to bases and assignments in uniform, to get caught up in novel news like that of the iPhone or Avatar the movie.

The PR professional in me recognizes that maybe that photo was staged, like others during Bush's administration, and to be fair, other modern Presidencies. It wouldn't be the first time. However, on the heels of the President announcing that we need more troops and the Pentagon dissing the active duty time limit, it's a grave time for the young men and women of America.

One my strongest disagreements with the President is his absence from Dover. The policy of banning media from covering the arrival home of those killed in action and the complete absence of the President from saluting those incoming, infuriates me.

I'm glad to see the grave consequences of this war resonating with the President. As a voter, I've always perceived him as insular and removed from the consequences of his decisions as President.

Maybe he had dirt in his eye, I don't know. But that tear was the first reassuring thing I've seen come from the man.

Above all else, I hope we find a way to initiate peace among countries, faiths and people soon.

No comments: