Thursday, January 25, 2007

Tuesday afternoon I choo-choo'ed up to NYC to catch up with like-minded peeps at the New York Social Media Club meeting. There was a good showing and it was fun to chat up folks like Aaron Urhmacher from Text 100 and Christian Averill from NGT/Fleishman-Hillard.

It was a large group, so it was hard to get into more in-depth exchange on everything that everyone else is working on and exploring. I didn't stay for the shorter groups, so maybe that was more individual-specific. One thing that was mentioned was twitter. I'm not going to lie, I don't exactly understand twitter, but I joined, so maybe I'll figure it out. Hey Twitter folks, how about adding a "how it works" section?

My last note is that I've been following what the TV show "The L Word" is doing online. I thought it was genius at the beginning of this season when the show launched a paper chart that one of the characters had created in the first season of the show as a social network for lesbians. That application can be found here. I have to say, I'm disappointed with the application. I really thought that it would become a MySpace for that niche market, but it doesn't seem to be active at all.

Another L Word related item: one of their actresses, Janina Gavankar, is the new online sensation Ms Dewey. It's a really fun directory, but I can't figure out who's funding it and I hope they are going to update her soundbites soon. I've only been using it for two weeks and the soundbites are already old.

No comments: